GYEONGHOERU was erected in the northwest side of the pond in Geunjeongjeon, Gyeongbokgung Palace, and was used to hold the royal banquets and receiving foreign officials. Gyeonghoeru was built when the construction of Gyeongbokgung Palace was first made, and was small at first but was expanded in 1412 (the 12th year of King Taejong of Joseon) as the pond was enlarged. It was burnt down during the Japanese Invasion in 1592, leaving only the stone supports.
It was reconstructed about 270 years later when it was rebuilt in 1867 (the 4th year of King Gojong of Joseon) while rebuilding Gyeongbokgung Palace. After building a square island with long and smooth stone, the pavilion was built on them. It was connected with the land by three stone bridges to the grand Gyeonghoeru Pavilion.
Behind the pavilion, a hill called Amisan, made up of the soils from digging up the earth in the pond, was erected. Gyeonghoeru that has 7 rooms in the front and 5 rooms in the side is a two-story of splendid and magnificent building. During the reign of King Taejong, there were 48 stone pillars, carved with wriggling dragon. Under the reconstruction, square pillars were erected outside, while circular pillars were erected inside. The first floor was covered with a square stone, while the second floor was covered with wooden floor.
The height of the room floor was different so that officials could sit according to respective position. The roofs were made up of a set of decorative roof tiles over the angle rafter which is the fine point of the palace. As the largest elevated pavilion in Korea, the simple and yet splendidly designed pavilion is considered as a valuable cultural asset, representing the work style of the late Joseon Dynasty.