Another mix of themes this month at the popular Perth Mint starting with the finest versions of John Mercanti’s second Wedge-tailed Eagle design for the mint. While the first coin depicted the bird in dynamic flight, this one has this impressive hunter at rest on a branch. Available this month in 1oz gold and 1oz high-relief versions, the ultra-impressive 5oz versions will no doubt appear later this year.
The subscription program covering the centenary commemorations of the Great War of 1914-1918 continue with the third set of three coins. Like the others they fit into a replica billy tin that holds all five 3-coin sets to form a good collection of themed proof silver coins.
The half-gram Mini-Roo is back again. An increasingly popular coin format, this isn’t one of the most intricate of designs, but seem to be popular enough. Last up is another of those coloured silver coins that the Perth Mint makes for the gift market, a speciality of theres by all accounts.
All the coins are available to order from the Perth Mint website now, or from one of the many dealers worldwide that stock their product.
Other coins due next month are
- Australian Sovereign 2016 Gold Proof Coin
- Language of Love 2016 2oz Silver Proof Coin
- 2016 Kimberley Sunrise 2oz Gold Proof High Relief Coin
- Australian Koala 2016 Australian Koala 1 Kilo Silver Proof Coin
- Australian Kookaburra 2016 1oz Silver Proof High Relief Coin
- Australian Kookaburra 2016 5oz Silver Proof High Relief Coin
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine – 2016 Gold-Pressed Latinum Slip
- Australian Stock Horse 2016 1oz Silver Coin in Card
- Australia’s Remarkable Reptiles – Goanna 2016 1oz Silver Proof Coin
- The Cubs – Jaguar 2016 1/2oz Silver Proof Coin
- 100th Anniversay of RSL Stamp & Coin Cover
- Butterfly Stamp & Coin Cover
- Star Trek: Spock Stamp & Coin Cover
- Star Trek: U.S.S Enterprise NCC-1701 Stamp & Coin Cover
All will be released from 03 May. This months releases are available now from the Perth Mint website or from one of their many dealers worldwide.
2016 HIGH-RELIEF WEDGE-TAILED EAGLE
Featuring the 2016 Australian Wedge-tailed Eagle design by American sculptor and engraver, John M. Mercanti, this 1oz silver or gold coin is struck in brilliant high relief.
This majestic bird is known to soar through the sky for hours on end, frequently reaching altitudes of up to 2,000 metres. In the heat of the day, the eagle makes use of hot thermal air currents that drift up from the ground to reach these dizzying heights, whilst expending little energy.
Found throughout mainland Australia, Tasmania and southern New Guinea, the Wedge-tailed Eagle has a wingspan of up to 2.7 metres, and displays a long, wedge-shaped tail and feathered legs.
The coin’s reverse depicts an impressive Wedge-tailed Eagle perching on a tree branch. The design also includes the inscription AUSTRALIAN WEDGE-TAILED EAGLE, the 2016 year-date and The Perth Mint’s ‘P’ mintmark.
The Ian Rank-Broadley effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, the 2016 year-date, and the monetary denomination are depicted on the coin’s obverse.
Each silver coin is housed in a classic Perth Mint display case with a themed shipper and is also accompanied by a numbered Certificate of Authenticity. Each gold coin is housed in a prestigious wooden lid display case with a themed shipper and is also accompanied by a numbered Certificate.
Designed by John Mercanti. Priced at $99.99 AUD in silver, and $2,453.64 in gold for international buyers.